Thursday, December 14, 2023

Gifted Challenges' Pick for 2023: Best Articles about Gifted Education, Twice-exceptionality, and Parenting


This has been quite a year. Political turmoil, wars, climate change effects. Despite these stressors, you are navigating life with your child and trying to ensure their health, academic success, and emotional well-being. As always, there were many great articles this year related to the above concerns; selecting a top-ten list is always a challenge. But I hope you find the articles below stimulating and thought-provoking.


On a personal note, this December marks 40 years since receiving my Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology. It is hard to believe that I have been working in the field this long - and even more, that I still find it gratifying, meaningful, and filled with learning. I feel so grateful that I stumbled upon this career at an early age and continue to learn and grow as a psychotherapist. And I am grateful to the thousands of clients who have trusted me over the years, many of whom "risked" working with me as a young and inexperienced clinician during my training and early career years.  


I am equally grateful for my writing opportunities over the past 11 years that allow me to advocate for the needs of the gifted. In addition to this blog, numerous articles, and my recent book about gifted parenting, I write about mental health and wellbeing on the Medium platform Wise & Well. Many of you also receive my monthly newsletter where I share the latest articles of interest. (If you have not signed up yet, please join me here.) And I plan to continue to share meaningful articles I find throughout the year on social media, especially on my Facebook Gifted Challenges page. 


Thank you to all of you who follow me on social media, read my articles, and share your comments and concerns. As always, please let me know if you have questions or suggestions by contacting me at gailpostphd@gmail.com.


My Top 10 list for 2023


How to Ensure Twice-Exceptional Students Don't Slip Through the Cracks

Essential advice for identifying and supporting your twice-exceptional child at school.


Building a Wider, More Diverse Pipeline of Advanced Learners

See the National Working Group on Advanced Education report.


Nine Tips to Avoid Falling for Mental Health Misinformation

There are an astonishing number of myths and misinformation about psychotherapy and mental health circulating online. This is a MUST READ that highlights what you need to know to protect yourself and your children.


Algebra for None: The Effects of San Francisco's Detracking Reform

In a misguided attempt to provide equity, this school district is hurting all learners, and harms those most in need. And it has been used as a model for other districts across the country. 


Noone Knows Exactly What Social Media is Doing to Teens

What role does social media really play when considering your child's mental health? See this interesting overview.


Seven Tips for LGBTQ Parents to Help Schools Fight Stigma and Ignorance

Helpful information for LGBTQ parents to address problems that can affect their children.


Disabilities in Math Affect Many Students - But Get Little Attention

See more about how math disabilities can be identified and addressed in school.


Positive Parenting Can Help Protect Against the Stress in Childhood and Adolescence

How a positive parenting approach is an essential tool for parents that can build resilience.


America's Highest-achieving Students are Disproportionately Asian. Let's Not Be Afraid to Investigate Why.

Understanding this discrepancy in achievement can provide information about what might work for all students. 


A Fifty-State Analysis of Non-district Students' Access to District-provided Services

If your child is homeschooled or attending a private school, see what additional services might be available within your district.



**Wishing all of you a happy and healthy New Year, filled with joy and wonder.**

- Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment